Sunday, February 6, 2011

Am I Entitled to My Unused Sick Leave and Vacation Pay?

This is a common question asked by employees who have been terminated by an employer.  Sadly, there is no specific Pennsylvania law which requires an employer to pay an employee for sick leave, vacation pay or provide severance pay.  The employer only has an obligation to pay employees these benefits if the employer has a policy to pay such benefits or a contract with the employee to pay these benefits. If an employer has a handbook or written policy which provides for the payment of such benefits, the employer must follow its own rules for these kinds of payments. 

If you think you are entitled to be paid for these types of benefits you can:

a)    Personally request payment from your employer

b)    Electronically file a request for payment utilizing the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry – Here’s a link to the fillable, submittable form

c)    Institute a legal action under the Wage Payment and Collection Law, Act of 1961, P.L. 637, No. 329.

For more information on Employment Law, visit our website:

No comments:

Post a Comment